Friday, June 24, 2011

Banja Luka, Republika Srpska in Bosnia


I had been told by both Croats and Bosniacs to expect a completely different and unwelcoming situation in Banja Luka. My first day there, I admit I could see what they meant. I didn't know anyone in the city and basically just wandered around aimlessly. There wasn't much to do. I had planed to stay for 4 nights, but at the end of my first day I shortened my stay to two nights.

The morning of the second day I got up and did much of the same. I had a contact to meet at 7 pm that night, so I was free until then. Honestly, it's been two days and I can't even remember what I did for that day. I know I bought a sandwich from a place that didn't speak much English (though they spoke enough to tell me in English-Serbian hybrid that they never have foreigners come in to their shop).

I met Dejan, my contact outside of the main shopping mall in the center of town. Dejan is a 24 year old Economics student at the University. I got in contact with him through about 6 different busy people and finally one professor told me that she had a good student I could meet with. When we met up, neither of us were sure what to expect, but when Dejan saw me his first remark was that he was expecting someone professional. Thus, because I am indeed a student, not a professional, we headed straight for his favorite bar for a few beers. We sat down and talked in general about what it's like to live in the Republika Srpska. Dejan told me that he is heavily in the minority when it comes to his political and social views. He is quite progressive, as he wants to go into economic development ("I want to solve Bosnia's problems then the rest of the worlds" was one of his quotes). He revealed several interesting issues in Republika Srpska that do not exist in Serbia. For one, the Bosnian Serbs feel as though they are neglected and looked down upon by the Serbs in Belgrade. This is understandable as Belgrade is often held accountable for the actions and words of Bosnian Serb leaders. I've pondered this situation at length since our discussion, and I've decided this doesn't make much sense. This assumption, that Belgrade controls or is accountable for Banja Luka and Republika Srpska, is like saying the Vatican, for instance, is in control of and thus should be held accountable for the actions all Catholics. Because Catholics in Croatia committed war crimes and produce nationalist rhetoric the Vatican should be sanctioned, or not allowed to join important international organizations. Of course, the Vatican does not wish to be a part of any organizations, as they one of three autonomous states that is not in the UN (Taiwan because China blocks and Kosovo because Russia blocks). There was one particular issue that Dejan surprised me on. I knew that all Croats refuse to believe that men like Gotovina are criminals, but even my progressive friend Dejan told me that he believe Mladic is a hero, or a protector of the Serb people. He is admired in Banja Luka, even by those as open minded as Dejan. It was interesting to hear. I haven't gone back through everything Dejan and I talked about just yet, so there may be more to come.

After Banja Luka I spent one night in Osijek. That place was dead and not worth it. I wanted to go to Vukovar, which is why I stayed in Osijek, but that wasn't worth it either. I am now in Belgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment